Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2010 Recap, and my hopes for 2011

Just as with all my blogs, I'm putting up a post to summarize the last year (as far as gaming is concerned), and look towards the next one.

First, let's start with the blog.  I finally moved away from doing news, because CSW does it better, and started putting content up on here.  Last year that consisted of 53 posts, most of it news, but resulted in 950 visits from 589 visitors (since April).  The five most popular searches that led here were "Cardboard Warriors", "Cardboard Soldiers", "White Star Rising", "Wargame Publishers", and "Spearpoint 1943".  I managed to get 3 Battle Reports and a discussion about a book up here, but that's about all for real content.  Not very impressive.

Gaming wise, I did a lot better.  Looking through my plays listed on Boardgamegeek, here are my wargame plays for the past year:
  • Advanced Squad Leader  17 
  • Some Poles Apart: The Battle of the Westerplatte  9 
  • Frontline General: Spearpoint 1943  7 
  • Manoeuvre  6 
  • All Things Zombie: The Boardgame  4 
  • Dust Tactics  2 
  • Nations at War: White Star Rising  2 
  • Wellington  2 
  • 1898: The Spanish American War  1 
  • Corps Command: Dawn's Early Light  1 
  • Dixie: Bull Run  1 
  • Hold the Line  1 
  • Jena 20  1 
  • Kingmaker  1 
  • Panzer Grenadier: Airborne (Introductory Edition)  1 
  • Triumph of Chaos  1 
  • World in Flames  1 
Obviously, what exactly qualifies as a wargame is fairly loose, but these are what I would consider to count (that don't include miniature games).  That's 17 different games, 58 plays.  Really, that's not terrible, but i could certainly do a TON better.  Expect to see more playthroughs on this blog in the upcoming year, as I play more games, especially a larger variety of them.

Reviews are something I've not quit gotten around to on this blog.  There are two reasons for this.  First, I feel that a person should play a game several times, be familiar enough with all of the variants and ways to play the game, and have a pretty good experience handling the game as a whole to give a good review, and there aren't many games I'm qualified to do that with.  Second, most of the games I'm at this skill level with are older, and the average person who wants to read a review is going to want it about a newer game which they are interested in buying.  With that said, I may still throw a few up there this year, simply 'because'.  We'll see.

I may take a crack at designing a scenario or two for various game systems, but we'll see if I get that far.  With my life a bit more stable, PrezCon and the Winter Offensive coming up, and a lot of new games to get on the table, you can be sure this is going to be a great year to read this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment