Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Company of Iron Unboxing [Warmachine/Hordes]

This has probably been done somewhere at some point, but I figure I may as well post some pictures as well while I wait to play some games and have something more interesting to post :)

Company of Iron was released!  I picked up a copy!  That's introduction enough, I think.  Let's have a look at some pictures.

Ooooooh.... booooooox....

Tokens to play the game
Underneath the tokens
I'm not going to show you pictures of the bag of dice, nor the bag of bases.  I'm sure you've seen those before :)
Bag of Farrow miniatures

Bag of Cygnar miniatures

The sprue of characters- this was in bubble wrap, but I removed it to make these easier to see

Books and ruler included in the box

Cards included
Two things I want to mention here.

First, they didn't include cards for Farrow Brigands nor the Stormblades.  Yes, I know I can get them freely online... but this is a product to teach this game/format.  That's why the rules cover the basics of movement and combat.  You can't do that and leave out the rules for the vast majority of miniatures the set comes with.  That's pretty bad.  I don't know if this happens in every copy, or just mine, but if this is the case in every copy, that's an idiotic oversight.

Second, I have now read the rules... and I have to say, even knowing the game ahead of time, I found parts of the rules difficult to follow.  Are they hoping that a person who has never played Warmachine/Hordes is going to read these rules and know how to play?  That's really unlikely, given the way the rules are laid out, and the way certain parts are explained.  They include examples, thankfully (the section on duration of 'round' effects would be impossible without them), but skip out on examples in a lot of sections that could use them.

I don't know, overall, I'm excited about this, and think this is a great direction for PP to go.  I feel the implementation of this product could use a little work, but I suspect after I get it on the table, I'll forget all about my complaints.


2 comments:

  1. What a good blog you have here. Please update it more often. This topics is my interest. Thank you. . .
    muhammad Zukerminocov.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete