Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Aaaand the other games I want to play...

Okay, last post down this road.

There are a few games that just look like a blast, that I'd really like to get an army together and play a few games. Just to test how I like it.

AT-43: I will say, I've played this a few times, using my Therians. I really wish the rules were better written and that the factions were better balanced. I still have a lot of work to do to finish up the army I have, but I want to actually get a full army and try running them (after spending several days on the rules forum figuring out how the game is intended to be played). Fantastic background, love the army, but the rules are just so poor.

Flames of War: Ahh, I am already trying to get into this too. Started up an American Parachute Company, but it's still a long way from being playable, but definitely can't wait. After that, if I like the game, I may build a British force as well, just so my Americans have some buddies to help them out!

Alright, for the new games...

Nuclear Renaissance: I have to admit, I didn't know much about this game until Pete W pointed it out, but it has serious potential. Post-Apocalyptic is a fun setting (even loved Gamma World!), and the miniatures look pretty good. I could really see myself enjoying this, so hopefully I'll get the chance to try it out soon!

Uncharted Seas: By Spartan games, a fantasy game of ship based combat. Unless Games Workshop is releasing Man-O-War, this game is definitely on my scope. I've always wanted a good sea-based miniature game, and it's gotten great reviews.

Firestorm Armada: By the same company. I already have a great starship game, but if it also has good reviews, so I'd love to try it out :)

Malifaux: Another game that's well regarded, it also has beautiful miniatures, and apparently an innovative card mechanic for the actual combat resolution. Apparently very characterful and great background! Oh, did I mention beautiful miniatures?

Arcane Legions: Alright, I played this at PrezCon, but it was so much fun, and it's fairly cheap to get well into it! Plus, it's semi-collectible (thankfully not fully collectible, gag!), and not-prepainted! Would love to get more games of this!

Alright, there you have it. That's what I feel like doing for all the games out there that have drawn my attention, or what games I want to try.

Now to try for more actual hobby stuff. Coming up, I swear!

4 comments:

  1. Nice list. I'm there for Nuclear Renaissance (we should play that soon) and I definitely like the look of Malifaux too.

    Uncharted Seas brings back great memories of Man O War games with my friends. I remember that we were too poor (12yrs old) to get all the real ships so we photocopied the ship damage cards and played with them. It was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The sooner the better!

    I missed out on the Man O' War goodness. It's really depressing because EVERYONE has good memories of it!

    Ah, playing with paper instead of the actual minis... I used to do that with Battletech. That makes me nostalgic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah.. At 43. I would love to break this out again, too. I love the Red Guard and my apes! There are so many sales on these minis that getting a full army shouldn't be too bad. I agree the rules are way fiddly and poorly written, but what do you expect from the French?

    Arcane Legions-
    This was a blast. We got the stuff, just need to assemble it. I love the turning mechanics in the game, and the way you can make your own armies and abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AT-43 would be very enjoyable if we could agree on how it was played. For a while I was writing down rules questions to ask on the forum, I wonder what happened to that paper? Maybe we'll give it a run again sometime.

    I hate the turning mechanics in Arcane Legion, but otherwise I love it, lol

    ReplyDelete