Thursday, September 2, 2010

Skorne vs Trollbloods, 15pts, 8/31/10

Another battle vs. Ben during our lunch break.

My list:
Archdomina Makeda
- Cyclops Savage
- Titan Cannoneer
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts)
Praetorian Swordsmen (Leader and 5 Grunts)

Ben's List:
Chief Madrak Ironhide
-Troll Impaler
-Dire Troll Bomber
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 2 Grunts)

With the Cannoneer, I actually have decent shooting, and with the Cyclops' animus I can be very efficient about hitting.

Normal terrain- rough patch in the middle, various obstructions scattered around.

Ben began the game advancing his warlock and beasts up towards my right side, and sent his Champions off towards my left.

I moved my Cyclops over towards the Champions, but still a distance away, and sent the Swordsmen behind an obstacle so they wouldn't get shot at. The Cannoneer moved forward and took a long range shot at Madrak, knowing I was out of range and hoping for a lucky deviation, which I didn't get. Makeda moved up a little and Defender's Warded herself.

Ben advanced again and took some shots with his shooting elements, to no effect.

I started my turn by charging the Cyclops into his Champions, expecting to do some decent damage. On my charge attacks, I needed a 6, and I could boost after seeing the result. I of course rolled snake-eyes. *Sigh. I did manage to kill two out of the unit, but that was definitely worse than expected. The Titan took a shot at Madrak, missing, and scattering off of anything. I moved my Swordsmen into a blocking position, in front of Ben's beasts, to try to hold them up. I used Makeda to cast Defender's Ward on them, as well as popped her feat.

Ben thought for a second, then popped his feat and moved Madrak forward. The Bomber took off, rushing into the swordsmen, killing 4, I believe, after the feat. Pretty scary. The Impaler moved forward and dropped one. They failed to kill the last one in the unit, however, meaning my guys were coming back! The Champion took a huge chunk out of the Cyclops.

Sadly, the Cyclops was out of range- so he frenzied, not really accomplishing much. The Titan hit Madrak square on with a shot, but he used his scroll to ignore it. All of my swordsmen had come back, and they surrounded his beasts, taking chunks out of the Impaler, but failing to kill him.

Ben Trampled the Bomber through my Swordsmen, past Makeda. Madrak moved into the swordsmen to kill a few as well. The Champion finished off the Cyclops, and the Impaler I think accomplished nothing. Not so exciting.

Things weren't looking too bad- Madrak was close by, and I was hoping to kill his beasts to force a concession. Makeda charged into the back of his Bomber, doing a lot of damage, but failing to kill it. The swordsmen succeeded in killing the Impaler however.

Ben stared the last turn by moving Madrak around, and attacking Makeda from behind. That was not a good thing- after a few swings, he had killed her, and was once again victorious.

Honestly, there were a lot of things that hurt me thins game. My poor rolling with the Cyclops was a start, but wasn't a major reason for the loss. I just made too many mistakes, both with positioning, and in moving to protect my warlock. I did finally get a good use out of Makeda, but I really need to run a bigger unit just to ensure they stick around. Madrak's feat finally did something, and after seeing it in action, I'll need to be conscious of it. I think I have a better hang of all the models in the army as well- my next addition will be the unit attachment for the Swordsmen, which should certainly help their capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment