Friday, December 17, 2010

Quick Battle Report, Cryx vs Khador, 35 pts, 12/16/10

No pictures today, although Rob took a few, so whenever he gets around to posting I'm sure you can see them there.

I played a quick 35 point game against Rob yesterday.  I randomly choose my caster nowadays, and ended up with Iron Lich Asphyxious, for Cryx.

My list:
Iron Lich Asphyxious
- Deathripper
- Deathripper
- Defiler
Bane Knights (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Soulhunters (Leader and 2 Grunts)
The Withershadow Combine
Bane Lord Tartarus
Warwitch Siren
Pretty basic stuff.  I wanted to give the Soulhunters a shot, to see how they functioned.  The Warwitch Siren is also a new addition.  Still working to bring new awesome things into my armies :).

Rob's list:
Vladimir, The Dark Prince
- Behemoth
- Drago
Man-o-war Bombardiers (Leader and 2 Grunts)
Widowmakers (Leader and 3 Grunts)
Winter Guard Mortar Crew (Leader and Grunt)
Winter Guard Mortar Crew (Leader and Grunt)
Widowmaker Marksman

When we were teaching Frans to play warmachine, Frans used (with some direction) Vlad to pretty cool results, especially with shooting.  Rob wanted to leverage this into a fairly strong ranged list, and although I think this is a good start, I could tell that this wasn't going to be an easy fight for him.  Most of those AoE (even after Signs & Portents) aren't terribly scary to my infantry, since I'm generally stealthed.  Regardless, you never know.

We rolled up a random scenario, and ended up with Convergence.  Basically, an 11" circle in the middle of the table, at the end of every player's turn, if someone is in full control of the circle, they get a point- first one to 2 points wins.

Rob won the roll, and chose to go second.  I think that was probably a mistake (I would always go first!), and I told him so, but still, I was plenty happy to go first.

Turn 1:
I started my turn by advancing everything forward.  The Warwitch gave a focus to the Defiler, who ran forward (although not into the circle), and everything moved up 4-5 inches.  Nothing in the control zone yet.

Rob pretty much did the same.  Everything moved forward a few inches, although the jacks ran forward maybe 7 or so inches.  He tried a ranging shot with the mortars but was still far out of range.  However, he ended the turn with nothing in the control zone.  Bad news.

Turn 2:
I ran a Deathripper forward, and cast Parasite followed by a boosted Hellfire onto Drago, dealing about 10 points of damage.  Bane Lord Tartarus moved into the control zone as well.  My Bane Knights, Warwitch, and the Defiler moved towards the circle from my right.  The Bane Thralls moved in from my left.  I sent the Soulhunters 20" across the board into combat with his Widowmakers and Man-o-War Bombardiers, with the hopes of distracting them from shooting at me for a turn.  With things in the control zone, and no Rob- I gain the first control point.

Rob moved Vlad forward and popped his feat (as well as cast S&P).  Drago charged Bane Lord Tartarus, killing him.  The Behemoth charged my Deathripper, and killed him.  The Man-o-Wars managed to kill the Soulhunter engaged with them, but the Widowmakers didn't have much success, dealing only 4 points of damage to one of the other Soulhunters.  Rob ended the turn claiming a control point, tying us at 1-1.

Turn 3:
I see my chance.  The Bane Thralls attempt to charge Drago, but only two of them can make it.  They still manage to deal a decent amount of damage, however.  The Withershadow Combine finishes him off though, creating a Slayer.  With only the Behemoth left, I can tell I only need to kill him to win.  Asphyxious decides he's up to the task.  I cast Parasite on the Behemoth, and Scything Touch on myself, and charge in.  Dice-1 with Sustained Attack, in addition to popping my feat means a dead Behemoth, and a victorious Cryx.

I think poor Rob was hindered both by the scenario.  Next time, we're going to randomly choose two scenarios ahead of time, write a list with those in mind, then choose one of them randomly before the game starts.  That should help both of us have a chance when we play again.  We'll see though!

No comments:

Post a Comment