Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Recap of 2010 for this blog, and what to look forward to in 2011

Well, another year gone away, and a new one to look forward to.

I'm going to spare everyone a long post about how and why I failed probably all of my last year's resolutions; instead I'll look at what I managed to do last year, and what I hope to do this upcoming year.

To start, last year I played 19 games of Warmachine and Hordes, 7 games of Warhammer Fantasy, 2 games of Arcane Legions, 2 games of Space Hulk, 2 games of Warhammer 40K, and a game of Lord of the Rings.  That's not a terrible amount (almost 3 games a month), but I'm sure I could do better, and I plan to. 

I put up 101 posts last year, here on this blog.  I won't pretend that many of them were worth reading to the random person on the Internet, but there were a few articles that I think turned out well, in particular my Skorne and Dark Elf articles.  The posts resulted in 9,350 visits from 5,291 visitors... and that's just since April (when I started using Google Analytics).  The 5 most common searches, in order, that sent people to my blog were "Dark Elves in 8th" (in a variety of forms), "Boisterous Exhuberance", "Deneghra Tier List",
"No Quarter 31", and "Asphyxious Tier List".

I didn't really paint that much last year, although I did make progress in several areas, especially on my Cold One Knights and my Skorne stuff.  Nothing finished, but if I can focus on working on it, I just may get things completed this year.  I also assembled a bunch of models last year.  Not too terrible from that standpoint.

So, what's in store for 2011?  I'm not going to make hard resolutions, since my success rate with them has been... well, terrible.  The big goals this year will just be more of the same, but also more of the stuff I haven't been doing.  For instance, although working on my Warmachine/Hordes armies is a blast, and I enjoy playing them, they aren't the only game I love.  I really want to get more games of 40K in, especially with the Chaos Space Marine army I'm building (I also want to play a bunch of Killzone games).  I plan to play more Games Workshop games, in addition to giving Malifaux and probably Firestorm Armada a try this year.  In addition, the building and painting will definitely be happening in the background. 

Once again, I don't intend to proxy.  I got in the habit of proxying a little over the years since college, and I'm glad I forced myself out of it the past year.  We play with miniatures because it creates a visual experience we can't get with other boardgames.  Part of the joy of that visual experience is to provide the tools (models) that we are expected to provide for that game.  I don't plan on proxying again, if I can help it.

As for articles, I'm going to start working on my Skorne articles once again, and I may even throw out some Cryx ones.  I also have some basic designs for some posts on a miniature game based off a popular fantasy book series, just to keep me busy.  All of this and more coming in 2011 :).

Thanks for reading guys!

2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed reading your Skorne material immensely, and I'm looking forward to whatever else you have to say on the matter in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hopefully now that the holidays are done, i'll start getting more games in, and once that happens, I'll be sure to get more articles up! :)

    ReplyDelete