Thursday, January 3, 2019

Looking into 2019

Well, 2019 has started, and I've already posted my resolutions, but I wanted to talk a bit about what I'm going to be trying to accomplish this year on this blog, and in my gaming life in general.  I am going to break it down by genre, somewhat.

Miniature gaming - I want to get a lot done in the miniature hobby this year.  Whenever my basement is set up, I will have a dedicated space to do painting, and room to store and work on various miniature projects.  I'm really excited about it, and I'm going to be trying to post a lot of various pictures of things I'm working on, as well as focusing on writing battle reports for games I play.  Some people enjoy reading them, and for me they are a great way to look back and consider how I can improve my gameplay.

There are quite a few games that are on my radar that'd I'd like to play this year.  I mentioned Warmachine and Hordes, of course, as part of my resolutions.  In addition, I'm getting back into Games Workshop games pretty hardcore.  I'd love to get into Age of Sigmar, Necromunda, Blood Bowl, and the Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game this year, in addition to more games of Kill Team and Warhammer Underworlds.

Outside of the GW games, there are still so many games that I want to do at least something with.  There's talk of us starting a Frostgrave campaign in the next month or so.  I'll definitely have Monsterpocalypse assembled and will be teaching it at some point.  Gaslands and Kings of War: Vanguard are also likely plays for the year.  X-Wing, Armada, and Legion are also games that I can see myself playing more, especially due to their popularity.  If I manage to get these played, look forward to some battle reports on them.

Card gaming - Honestly, this feels like it has kind of died off around here.  I'd like to catch back up with Ashes, and get it played regularly.  I'd like to find someone to play VS 2PCG with.  I may have to just figure out how to play these games online, if I want to get plays in.  That's a shame.

I think Eric Stubbs and I may get some games of Star Wars LCG this year, however, so that could be a positive trend.

One thing that I'm hoping to do is get more seriously into the old Star Trek CCGs.  These are games that were just dripping with flavor, and with the Continuing Committee putting out so many interesting expansions, I'm going to try to get a few interesting decks built as see if I can't wrangle ANY interest in it.

Board Wargaming - Unfortunately, I just don't have many opportunities for this.  I have a lot of games that interest me, but I may be alone in my interest of these.  Therefore, they'll probably have to be solo plays, which means I need space.  This is another case where the basement is the solution.  So here's hoping that's done sooner rather than later.  I plan to have some pretty detailed battle reports of games that I do manage to play, including plenty of information about the game itself- generally wargames don't have a lot of information online, so interested people frequently don't know what to expect.  I can help somewhat with that.

RPGs - I'm unsure what's going to happen this year here.  I bet I'll be playing more Mutant Year Zero, but I don't really have a whole lot to write about with that.  My nephew has expressed an interest in Mutants and Masterminds or Dungeons and Dragons- I expect I'll be running one of these systems at some point.  If so, I'll put as much as I can on here about what the players are doing in the campaign!

I also want to mention, some work is being done for some friends and I to start an RPG actual play podcast.  More information to come, if that gets off the ground.

Finally, Board Games - my wife, and many of our formerly non-gaming friends, are getting into board games.  I will be working to introduce them to a few new games in the upcoming year.  I don't know that I'll write too much about them, other than brief mentions that they are getting played.  For other boardgames that aren't as popular, there will likely be a lot more I'll say.

No comments:

Post a Comment