Saturday, November 30, 2013

Romance of the Nine Empires

So, I've been playing a few games of Romance of the Nine Empires, a new LCG from Alderac Entertainment Group (AEG).  If you haven't heard about this, or haven't tried it, you should definitely take a look.

At the moment, the game consists solely of the core set (the "15th Anniversary Edition"), but there's plans for an expansion early next year, as far as I can tell, and I imagine if the game does well, we'll see more expansions.

For those confused by the mention of the 15th Anniversary Edition, I'll mention only that it's a reference to a movie (The Gamers: Hands of Fate), and that this really is the first edition of the actual game.  You're not missing anything, you haven't missed anything, the game is complete as is.

So, what is this game?

It's basically a re-implemented, slightly simpler, and re-themed form of Legend of the Burning Sands (LBS), a CCG that AEG put out back in the late 90s. The CCG ended up getting pretty good reviews, and was moderately popular, but CCGs as a whole basically started slowing down a little after this time, so LBS ended up disappearing.

The game currently has five factions (although I guess the first expansion will release the other four), each with different playing styles, and one nice thing about the R9E box- it comes with a complete playset of every card in the game.  That's a nice change from the FFG Core Sets, where you'll need to buy 2-3 copies of the Core Set to have a complete playset.

I won't bore you with too much details about the game (yet), but it will be a game I cover on here from time to time, since I've had a lot of fun playing it, and I'm eager to see where it goes.  I do, however, recommend checking it out if you're into LCGs.

No comments:

Post a Comment