Sunday, May 29, 2016

So wait, what games do you play?

Good question!  It's also a tad difficult to answer.  See, in theory, I will play any card game except for a few.  Mostly, it's a matter of "have I played this yet?"  If not, I'll definitely play.  If so... likely I keep playing.

For reference, here is what I played last year (2015), and how often:

Anachronism - 2
Android: Netrunner - 81
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn - 1
Babylon 5 - 2
Battleground Fantasy/Historical Warfare - 1
Call of Cthulhu LCG - 3
City of Heroes CCG - 2
Doomtown: Reloaded - 27
Dragon Ball Z - 17
Elemental Clash - 2
Epic Card Game - 7
Frontline General: Spearpoint - 3
Galactic Empires - 1
Game of Thrones 1st Edition - 1
Game of Thrones 2nd Edition - 6
Gridiron Fantasy Football - 1
High Command - 1
Legend of the Five Rings - 59
Lord of the Rings LCG - 16
Lord of the Rings CCG - 1
Magic: The Gathering - 12
Marvel VS 2PCG - 1
Middle-Earth CCG - 1
My Little Pony CCG - 1
Ophidian 2350 - 1
Romance of the Nine Empires - 1
Shadowfist - 5
Siege Warfare - 3
Star Trek CCG 1E - 2
Star Trek CCG 2E - 5
Star Trek Card Game - 1
Star Wars CCG - 1
Star Wars LCG - 10
Tomb Raider - 1
Warhammer 40K: Conquest - 38
Warhammer: Invasion - 1
WARS TCG - 1
Weis Schwarz - 3
Wheel of Time CCG - 2
X-Files CCG - 1

Quite a list, eh?  This year, I'll likely play most of these again... in addition to other games.  Also, you may disagree with my classification of some of these as card games. Well, perhaps I can convince you at a later date.

So perhaps the easier thing will be to describe which games I don't play, and won't play again.  The list isn't long.
  • Powercardz/Spawn Powercardz - I played this quite a bit as a kid.  It's mechanics, I recognize now, were terrible.  Simple, and not really much of a game.
  • Hyborian Gates - Was this even a game?  I think purchasing this really was just enjoying the great art (and awful cropping).  The game itself (yes, I managed to figure out the rules) was just awful.
  • Spellfire - I haven't played this in a LOOOOONG time, but I have no positive memories of having done so.  I believe some of my complaints were actually addressed, but this still wasn't enjoyable enough to bother with.
  • Weis Schwarz (new addition to this list for 2016) - Cas and I gave this a shot this past year, but the game was extremely weak. The climax cards add an unpleasant level of variance to the game, and although part of the mechanics are meant to address the Runaway Leader syndrome, it doesn't do quite enough to make up the gap.  If I manage to get enough pieces together to swing for the fence, and I hit a climax card, I'm annoyed.  If I don't... that's tough to recover from.  It was far too simple for us, even without this.
  • Gridiron Fantasy Football (new addition to this list for 2016) - The mechanics of this game weren't particularly bad, but the game dragged unbearably, and at some point, I'd rather just play something else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment