Friday, November 3, 2017

I tried Star Trek Attack Wing!

My brother has recently been interested in gaming, and has focused on the topics which appealed to him growing up, mainly Star Wars and Star Trek. I've been trying hard to nourish this interest, as it never hurts to have more people in the gaming community, and heck, who doesn't want family members that game?

So far, I've shown him Star Wars Armada, Imperial Assault, and Star Wars Destiny, all of which he's enjoyed (except for Imperial Assault), which are all games I have plenty of material for.  He's expressed interest in X-Wing, which we'll eventually play, but in the meantime, he was interested in Star Trek Attack Wing, from WizKids, and started buying stuff for it. I figured if he's interested, I'd give it a shot, and that's what we did.

I ended up taking the Enterprise-D, with Geordi, Picard, and Miles aboard, and he took the Klingon ship with whatever the rulebook recommends as a default upgrade setup.

The rules are similar to X-Wing, so it was pretty easy to get started, and I didn't take notes, as the goal was to get him playing, and not drag the game down with writing. I did take a few pictures though.
*cue Jaws music*
Soon after... I roll nothing but blanks on an attack roll, after taking a Scan/Battle Stations double action.
He rolls much better than I do here, and the Enterprise's mission ends.
So anyway- he wins the game.

Interestingly, looking through the ships and material available for the game, I'm surprised how different it *feels* than X-Wing.  Yes, it's the same rules, mechanics, and upgrade system, with a few tweaks.  But really, X-Wing ships feel more maneuverable and more difficult to hit. Here, both our ships were only rolling a single green die (except when he was cloaked), and the maneuvering felt more like large 'blue water' navy ships, which I really quite enjoyed (and felt more true to Star Trek). As is, this looks like a decent alternative- something I may actually get into.  Not as heavily as I got into X-Wing, but I likely will pick up a faction.  Maybe Dominion. The minis in the Attack Wing starter box are really disappointing, I have to say, but the expansion minis seem pretty good overall, as well (can't have a game with bad minis!).

More importantly, Matt seemed to enjoy the game (although he didn't enjoy the two Destiny losses I dealt him after playing this nearly as much), and I suspect we'll give this another go soon-ish with full-size squads. Maybe I'll have my own by then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment