Thursday, February 15, 2018

New Arrivals [Tabletop Wargames/Other Boardgames]

So quite a few random pre-orders and Kickstarters arrived recently, and I figured I'd show and talk about the things I've received lately!

First up was the new issue of CounterFact magazine, a great magazine covering military history and wargames. I haven't had a chance to read the articles yet, but I assume they are fantastic as the previous ones have been.
This issue, as with all their others, comes with a game- Islamic State: The Syria War.
Two players, with one player playing as the US/NATO/Kurdish/Syrian Rebels forces, one playing the Russian/Syrian/Iranian forces, and DAESH controlled by the game system.  I've played the Libyan War in this system, but that was a solitaire design. I'd be interested to see how it plays with a second player.

Next, the Kickstarter from Way of the Fighter arrived.
This is a card game that simulates the 2D fighting video games. Kind of an interesting system- there's a minimal amount of deck building, and the mechanics seem pretty good. Be interesting to see, in practice, how this compares to BattleCon and EXCEED (which I have coming sometime in the next few months).

Next arrival was The Great Game from Legion Wargames.
This is a Card Driven wargame, covering the military and political operations in Central Asia between the Russian Empire and the British Empire in the mid-1800s.
 Beautiful looking map. Legion Wargames does great work!
And two countersheets, cards, and the rulebook. Great looking components, and one I'm planning to bring to PrezCon this month.

Next three arrivals are from Kickstarter.  First, the Traveller Card Game.
I love card games with fixed expansions. What can I say? I haven't opened this yet, and don't know the rules... I do know that there is some errata already (a printing error), so I'll have to keep an eye out for that when I open this up.

Second one was Rising Sun!
Cat shown for size comparison only, not included with the KS pledge
That's quite a lot of stuff, and I'm still missing the oversize playmat board (being shipped separately)! I may bring this to PrezCon, as it's a good multiplayer game with rules that aren't too complex.

Final Kickstarter arrival came today- Chariots of Rome.
This is, obviously, a game about Chariot Racing! There are different drivers, rules for damaging the chariots... and I'm sure a bunch more, but I don't know too much about this yet (other than it looks awesome!).
 Just really cool looking components.  I can't wait to play this!

So there ya have it- this is what I've added to my collection recently, and hopefully will have something more to say about all of these in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment