Monday, October 8, 2018

Weekly Summary for week ending 10/6/18

A bit delayed.  We did the final move into our new house, then immediately went on a week long vacation.  Since I've had a bit of a gap between last post and this, this won't be a 'weekly' log, but a 'what have I done since last post' log.  I will get back onto my correct schedule this Saturday.

Games Played
  • Amazingly, despite all of that, I did get some games in...
  • Three games of Magic: The Gathering.  These were all Commander games against my oldest nephew, Jonas.  I went 2-1, using his decks, playing only two player games.  Two were in an airplane, one was on a hotel floor.  We tried to rope Matt into a game but he declined.  Sigh.  Anyway, I used his decks, and clearly, we have some work to do.  He doesn't quite get card synergy, or how the mana curve works.  We'll get him there though.
  • Five games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Champions.  I'm kind of cheating by listing this, but I did technically play.  In this case, I played all the games on the app.  I had bought a starter to learn the rules, and then used the app to actually see the game in action.  Since they were all starter deck games, I won them all, then put in the few cards I have into the system.  I like the game, although I don't know that I love it.  I'm not sure I get the feel of the Age of Sigmar universe from the game..  Units and spells behave the same, you do anything when it isn't your turn... I don't know.  We'll see.  I'll keep playing it for a bit and decide then.
New Arrivals
  • Twilight of the Gods: Age of Revelation.  This is the first season of expansions for the Twilight of the Gods card game.  Looks like a freaking FANTASTIC non-collectible card game, with a lot of interesting choices in the game.  I still haven't played it though.  That clearly didn't keep me from buying expansions (or at least, backing them on Kickstarter).
  • A Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Champions Starter deck.  I chose Order.  For now.
  • Mutants and Masterminds Deluxe Core Book.  My nephew Jonas had expressed interest in playing "Dungeons and Dragons superheroes".  This is as close as I could get I think.  If he wants to play, I'll see what I can do to get him to play and enjoy it.  Who knows, maybe my wife and brother will play too.  A man can dream!
Miniature Assembly/Painting
  • Nothing.  Everything is packed up, unfortunately.
Reading
  • Read the rules to Age of Sigmar: Champions.  Mentioned this above.
  • Read the September issue of White Dwarf.  Good battle reports.  Makes me wish my minis were accessible so I can get back to playing again! (sooooooon, soon).
  • Finished the Stormcast Eternals Battletome.  Very interesting read.  Lots of background, which was more appealing to me for the moment, and the rules for the models look fun, although it's hard to gauge that with no experience in the game.  I suspect I'll be playing them first anyway though, so definitely a valuable read.
  • Started Cibola Burn, the fourth book in the Expanse series.  This is a series I quite enjoy- fairly hard sci-fi, with a lot of subterfuge, and hinted at horrors.  Got about halfway through the book, and things are picking up nicely.  Look forward to finish this next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment