Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Road to the Bokur Brawl (Circle Orboros/Devourer's Host)

Starting to get all my minis together

My goal is to play in the Bokur Brawl in 2025 (usually in April). I have never gone to a Warmachine tournament, nor a miniatures game convention, but I'm determined to get more involved in the Warmachine community, and to make this happen I thought it might be motivating to actually blog about my goals and progress!

I am going to bring Devourer's Host to this event. I spent a bit of time trying to figure out which army I would focus on to make this happen. I have a large number of miniatures assembled and ready to play, but I'd really like to have something painted going into a major event like this, so I chose an army that I felt confident I could paint in time (I like drybrushing, and there's a lot of fur), and it was the first army in the app where this would be true (heck, it's the first army in the app).

So, with that decided, let me go through what I think I have, and see what I think I need to purchase, and finally, put out a plan for how I'll get it all done.

Warlocks:

There are four warlocks in this army:

  • Iona the Unseen
  • Kromac, Champion of the Wurm
  • Tanith the Feral Song
  • Wurmwood, Tree of Fate

I believe I own all four.  It seems like Tanith is not particularly popular, and it also seems like Iona and Kromac are a bit more straightforward, so I think I'll focus on getting those two playable and work on my familiarity with them, but maybe I'll try the other two at some point in order to see if one calls to me.

Warbeasts:

  • Argus Moonhound - own 1
  • Feral Warpwolf - own 3
  • Ghetorix - own 1
  • Gnarlhorn Satyr - own 1
  • Gorax Rager - own 4
  • Loki - own 0
  • Pureblood Warpwolf - own 2
  • Razorwing Griffon - own 0
  • Rip Horn Satyr - own 0
  • Rotterhorn Griffon - own 1
  • Scarsfell Griffon - own 1
  • Shadowhorn Satyr - own 1
  • Storm Raptor - own 1
  • Warpwolf Stalker - own 1
  • Wild Argus - own 4
  • Winter Argus - own 1

I also own a Gnarlhorn/Rip Horn/Shadowhorn Satyr box I haven't opened, and may try to magnetize.

I have a good mixture of beasts.  I definitely need to pick up Loki at some point, and I could probably stand to grab a second Warpwolf Stalker and Storm Raptor, but they can wait until I have enough plays to actually figure out whether or not I'll end up getting them.

Structures:

  • Well of Orboros - own 0

This is probably something I'll get at some point, as well.  Maybe not a must-have, but I'll try to proxy it in a game to see how I feel about it, first.

Solos:

  • Bloodweaver Night Witch - have 0
  • Gallows Grove - have 2
  • Kogan the Exile - have 1
  • Lord of the Feast - have 1
  • Tharn Blood Shaman - have 1
  • Tharn Ravager Shaman - have 1
  • Tharn Ravager White Mane - have 1
  • Tharn Wolf Rider Champion - have 2

Again, good coverage.  I definitely need at least one Night Witch.  I may pick up a second Tharn Ravager Shaman, too.  I'll note that Magnus the Unstoppable is allowed in the army, but I don't think he provides anything I need, and I don't see any ways to buff him, so I'm not concerned about him here.

Units:

  • Brighid & Caul - have 1
  • Tharn Blood Pack - have 2
  • Tharn Bloodtrackers - have 2 (and have Nuala the Huntress)
  • Tharn Bloodweavers - have 2 (and have 1 Tharn Bloodweaver Haruspex)
  • Tharn Ravagers - have 2 (and have 2 Tharn Ravager Chieftains)
  • Tharn Wolf Riders - have 1

Great coverage here, too.  I *may* want to figure out a solution to getting a second unit of Wolf Riders, but I may just buy and convert from a Champion.  We'll see.

So, by my count, I own all four warlocks, and 366 points at the time of this writing.  Plenty to get started with.

Here's my plan, then.  In the next two weeks, I'll pull out all of my relevant models, and verify that what I think I have matches what I actually have (starting this process revealed I own two units of Blood Pack, for instance).  I'll use the time to settle on a color scheme, as well.  That means I'll have this piece done by March 20th.

By the end of May, I'll have a 30 point Recon list built and painted.  I'm currently thinking something like this:

  • Kromac, Champion of the Wurm
  • - Feral Warpwolf
  • - Ghetorix
  • Gallows Grove

All of these models will be useful at later point levels, so seem like a perfect place to start.

By the end of July, I'll have a 50 point list painted, with Iona.

By the end of September, I'll have a 75 point list painted, along with Wurmwood.

By the end of November, I'll have at least one 100 point list painted, along with Tanith.

And by the end of next January, I'll have the second 100 point list painted (there should be plenty of overlap between the two 100 point lists, so this shouldn't be too horrible a task.

Early January will see a balance update for the game, which may require some changes, but I'll have a bit over three months to figure that out, and get what I need painted.

In addition to this, I'll try to make sure I start getting games in. I build pretty fast, so I should be able to play full games well before I get them painted.

Anyway, look forward to updating you all along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment