Sunday, June 10, 2018

Netrunner done! [Android: Netrunner LCG]

Seems that the game hit an End the Run subroutine it couldn't break :(.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/8/jacking-out/

I'm pretty saddened by this, as I have been with all of their LCG deaths (Invasion, Call of Cthulhu, Conquest, Star Wars), but honestly, Netrunner is in a pretty interesting place.  With the rotation a few months ago, the meta still has a lot of unexplored space, and there are a lot of new cards that I haven't really had the time to figure out how to best use yet, plus a bunch of new IDs I've not used- with some new stuff coming out in the final deluxe that will definitely need some more play.

So, really- it's the end of new content, but not the end of the world.  There is so much out there to play with, I'll be good for several years.

Based on the evidence, and the somewhat slapdash 'State of the LCG' post they put out immediately following the news, they clearly weren't expecting this, and that sucks, but hey, it happens.  But really, I wonder what's next for them?  They have four current LCGs - Arkham Horror and Lord of the Rings, which are cooperative (and seem to be doing pretty well), and L5R and Game of Thrones, which are competitive (and also seem to be doing just fine).  Four is their lowest amount of active LCGs in some time, and two is a VERY low number of competitive ones, compared to their history.

I feel, and hope, we might see a new one in the near-ish future.  One idea I've heard that I really like is re-theming Warhammer 40K: Conquest in the Twilight Imperium universe.  This was a great, very popular game, and the mechanics are very solid.  They'd have full control over the IP, which allows them to work with it long-term without concern. They've started to work with the Terrinoth IP a lot more of late, with Rune Wars and the newly announced Heroes of Terrinoth.  Maybe they'll come up with an interesting LCG based off of that, too?

Anyway, I'm eager to see what they do.  I LOVE LCGs, and will get behind anything they come out with.  They'll bounce back from this blow, I have no doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment